Sunday 12 April 2009

Raison d'être

After lots of searching on the net, I've been unable to find any comprehensive information (at least in a language that I understand) about plants in Japan, let alone in my specific area. I've spent the last few years building up my credentials in botany with the aim of doing a PhD in systematic botany, but for some reason I've decided to teach English in Japan for a year. I've been interested in Japanese culture and language since I was quite young.

But being here is also a great oppurtunity to learn a new flora that is, on the whole, quite closely related to the flora of eastern North America where I am from (originally Washington, D.C., more recently Rappahannock County, Virginia). I am especially lucky (others would say unlucky) because I am out in a relatively rural area very close to some big, heavily wooded volcanic mountains, i.e. there should be lots of plants around. To be more specific, I am living in Sannō town (山王町) which is within the boundaries of Maebashi City (前橋市), though the wheat fields around my aparment aren't very indicitive of a city.


The aims of this blog are the following:

1) Attempt to create a comprehensive database of the plants in Gunma Prefecture (群馬県), Japan, as well as post a bit on other aspects of local biology

2) Blab generally about plants and biology

3) Talk about my experiences in Japan a little bit

できるだけがんばってやってみます! (I'll try my best!)

No comments:

Post a Comment